Bird Island, Seychelles
Bird Island is the most northerly island of the Seychelles archipelago and is situated 65 miles from the main island of Mahé. A 30 minute flight by light aircraft gives the first stunning impressions of this coral cay, with its lush green interior, surrounded by over 5 Kilometres of fine white coral sand beaches, and lapped by turquoise clear waters. With only 24 bungalows to welcome guests, the island leaves you with a true ‘castaway’ feeling.
Bird Island, Seychelles is home to thousands of tropical birds, giant land tortoises, and breathtaking marine life – a treasure trove for nature lovers. The emphasis is very much on relaxation and informality where visitors can appreciate the conservation of wildlife in the most beautiful, tranquil setting and escape the hassles and chaos of ordinary life. This little island is a true retreat from today’s busy world.
About the Seychelles
- Bird Island forms part of the Seychelles archipelago, in the Indian Ocean which lies about 1000 miles from the east coast of Africa and northeast of Madagascar. The capital of the Seychelles is Victoria is and is situated on the main island of Mahé.
- Our official Languages include Seychellois Creole, English and French.
- The local currency is the Seychelles Rupee (SCR).
- Our Time Zone is UTC +4.
About Bird Island
- Bird Island is situated only 3º south of the equator, which is the reason for our wonderful tropical climate, perfect for beach getaways.
- It is located 105 kilometres (65 miles) from the main island of Mahe.
- Bird Island was formed on a coral shoal some 3,000 years ago from the materials of even older coral reefs! … Dating back about 7,000 to 125,000 years.
- This coral cay is now a total of 101 hectares (250 acres), including over 5 kilometres of soft white sandy beaches.
- Bird Island is also known as ‘Ile Aux Vaches’, as it was once home to many dugongs (vaches marines).
- From May to October, part of the island is home to millions of nesting sooty terns and with a year-round population of at least 20 other bird species it is an ornithologist’s heaven.
- Bird Island is also an important nesting site for turtles and boasts the world’s largest land tortoise, Esmeralda.